Tag Archives: whistler
Let’s raise the bar up shall we?
I have been trying to buy in, trying to truly believe that this is what my couples want in their photography.
Details, Details, Details.
That’s what you would have to believe if you spend enough time looking at the wedding blogs these days. Don’t get me wrong, I love my details. They help each of my brides express their own story and brings their final touches to their vision. I am right there eager to photograph them to help tell their story, plus they are lots of fun.
I do think however that my job, my real purpose as a photographer, as a storyteller is to dig deeper, to aim higher. Don’t just capture the pretty; capture the real, the raw, the emotion, the connection. To me there is nothing more rewarding (scary) to photograph than real emotions. It’s not for everyone and you can’t get there if you haven’t earned your couple’s trust. I would love to see more of that showcase in publications.
There is nothing sexier then a groom tearing up seeing his bride for the first time. The trust in having me photograph a couple remembering a parent gone too soon. The touch, the look of a grand parent or the spontaneous laughter between friends on a wedding day.
Let’s keep the “pretty” but let’s raise the bar to include more of the real.
The sun is shining, it’s warm, I think back of this wedding and how it was grand. Time share with you Part 2 of Janice & Patrick’s Wedding Celebration. As you saw last week in Part 1, the day was filled with joy,emotion and laughter…the recipe for a stunning celebration full of perfect moments. A gorgeous venue and staff at Nita Lake Lodge lead by the sweetest girl, Kathleen and grandiose decor from the amazing work of Marcie and her team at Bliss Event + Decor.
How did Whistler become your number one choice of where to tie the knot?
- We have lived out East since university, so many of our guests were from Ontario and Quebec. As a child, the sea to sky highway was a special drive that I used to do with my dad. When I grew up and was able to drive, I would always drive the highway for stress-relief because it is so beautiful. Pat is a big skier and has many fond memories of Whistler specifically. Our favorite weddings that we have attended had all of the guests staying in one place- that is why we chose Whistler and the Nita Lake Lodge. Luxury, but with a un-pretentious atmosphere.
What was your criteria when looking for your dress and how did you know once you found it?
- I actually chose a dress that was completely different from everything I said I wanted and everything my family and friends expected. For a girl that prides herself on being a tomboy, I didn’t think I wanted to feel like a princess. When I put that dress on however, that is how I felt and I loved the feeling. It was the type of dress that I knew I would never wear again and that was exciting for me. My taste has always been classic “with a twist” and this dress certainly fit the bill.
Describe your design elements and the inspiration behind them.
- The intention was to be classy but with a touch of fun (ie the candy bar). We wanted to add personal elements to our day that many people wouldn’t know the significance of (the purple pansy in my bouquet, old family wedding photos to remember where we came from, the candy gift was from the first company I worked for, we flew in Macaroons from Quebec as homage to our Quebec years, mom’s candlesticks from her wedding), etc
What was the number one piece of advice given to you while planning your wedding and what would you pass on to newly engaged brides to help them in the coming months?
- Make it your day- It is easy to get overwhelmed with all of the details and options that are out there. Know what matters to you and what you can let go of. The day will go by quickly and in the end, all that matters is that your friends and family are around you to marry the person that you love.
Vendors and suppliers;
- Photography; Gadbois Photography
- Flowers, Décor, Planning; Bliss Event & Design
- Venue; Nita Lake Lodge
- Wedding Invitations: Lovely Velo
- Wedding Cake; Cupcakes
Meet Carrie & Curt.
They are in love and they are gorgeous to see together. They came for a quick visit to Whistler for a fun E-Session in the snow. I couldn’t help myself get so excited knowing that she was also sporting the cutest 5 months old belly. The couple is expecting their first child in September and are already planning a beautiful wedding in 2014.
Enjoy some fun images below and a little show at the end…
And here is a little show
Project Skin MD
I have been so blessed with exciting projects I am asked to participate in. A few months ago, I was contacted by L’Oréal to photograph a gorgeous new skin care clinic in Vancouver called Project Skin MD. I can’t even start explaining everything I love about this clinic. It is one of a kind. It’s unprecedent location, decor, space, staff knowledge, state of the art treatment and not to mention how friendly and approachable everyone there is.
Dr William McGillivray is at the head of this amazing team as some of you may know him best for receiving some of his care at his Whistler clinic. Skin Ceutical, a beautiful active cosmetic line of L’Oréal, is their product line of choice and simply divine.
But I will let the images speak for themselves and invite all of you to go visit next time you are in Vancouver, you will love it, I know I did and I am now hooked!
When you have family members flying in for your wedding celebration from all over the country or even over seas it’s bound to be a great gathering.
When Janice & Pat approach me to capture their friends and family in the relax setting of the rehearsal dinner hosted by Pat’s parent’s in a private property in Whistler, I thought to myself, perfect setting to break the ice!
It was casual & fun and a great way to quickly have everyone get comfortable with having me around. We quickly realized that it also gave the perfect excuse to capture some great moments of the children, the grand parents, friends and their growing families and great friendships. It was Janice’s way of making sure everyone would have great photographs of themselves and their loved ones. Not to mention that I was able to steal the couple away for a few minutes for some romance before their big day!
Needless to say that on the wedding day no one was hidding from me and the comfort level and trust had already been establish. But we will treat you to THOSE images in a future post!
As one of my couple just got featured in Wishes Magazine, it occured to me that I have never featured their Romantic Sunset E-Session. It was one of the most peaceful, quiet, romantic session I have been a part of. Their trust and their ability to just “Be” as I captured their connection was exquisite.
It was a very special moment and it felt good to capture in images what it made me fell.
Meet Yuka & Eunho.
I was introduce to Eunho and Yuka by Kathleen the wonderful Event Coordonator at Nita Lake Lodge. Not only did we connect right away but the trust and faith they provided me was unbelievable. I remember the only request Eunho had was that his gorgeous bride to be have the best day of her life, “It’s should be all about her”, he said gushing.
They meet while Yuka was visiting Vancouver from Japan. It was a small get-together on a friend boat and he thought Yuka said no the first time Eunho ask her out, she very quickly changed her mind…the following year was spent as a long distance relationship as Yuka finished her studies in Japan and Eunho travelled back to see her every chance he had. Since then, they have started their life together in Vancouver and felt like Whistler would be the most beautiful place to treat their guest ( all 15 of them) to a beautiful day filled with love and emotions.
It’s no secret that I get attached to each of my couples and often shedding a tear of joy as they say their “I do’s” but this one my assistant had to tell me to pull it together after Yuka’s emotional speech to her parents at dinner in Japanese. The joy, the gentleness and the respect, I saw between Yuka & Eunho was so palpable it truly felt like a privilege to witness and capture.
Thank you for your trust,
What a treat! A few weeks ago the latest issue of Wishes came out. One of our gorgeous couples got featured as “Summer Wedding of the Year”. I feel so blessed to have been featured every year since it’s first publication in 2009. This is a great reference to great local talent for everything related to weddings. We have such amazing local talent, it’s wonderful to see everyone featured.
May you have a wonderful year filled with joy and beautiful moments such as this sunrise on the top of Whistler Peak this morning.
Going on a little adventure with Hayley & David for their E-Session, I was prepared for anything. Well, I should of known when I suggested to Hayley that bringing props that they love to the session was a great idea that I would be in for a treat.
I think it is safe to say their personalities truly came out and I could not be more excited for their upcoming winter wedding in collaboration with Celebrate Events at the gorgeous Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre.